- apply sunscreen every 2 hours
- reapply after you go swimming
- ensure you put it on 20 minutes before heading out into the sun
Buyer’s GuideLet’s start looking at the fun stuff. The features that you want to look for when you are purchasing your new hat.
- Wide-Brimmed – holidaying, gardening, and laying in my hammock reading a book. These are some of the activities you can catch me doing in these guys. Their wide brim provides plenty of shade. They have such a relaxed vibe about them that I automatically think of honeymooners when I see these. Commonly found in straw and felt fabric options.
- Bucket – the name says it all. A deep crown and a wide, downward slanted brim are the recognisable characteristics. Can be found in lightweight or heavy fabrics, as well as easy packable options for the adventurers among us.
- Legionnaire – I hear you, ‘Umm, these aren’t fashionable?’ Why would you even recommend these? Well no they might not be, but I recommend these because sometimes it is much more important to ensure that your entire head is thoroughly protected from the sun’s harsh elements than looking like we just stepped out of Vogue. I tend to wear these when I know I am going to be in the sun for a long time, which usually means I will be sweating (a lot) or when reapplying sunscreen may be a bit of a challenge… like when rock climbing.
- Baseball – Ladies… if you have read my other articles you know my stance on these. Not enough protection for your entire head so there won’t be any of these recommended.
FabricYou probably already have a style of hat in mind that you want, but have you thought about what fabric you would like? Quite often the style of the hat will give you an idea of what fabrics will be available to you but let’s look at some of the options below. You probably already know that if I was to list all of the fabrics available to you this article would take you forever to read, so let’s just look at some of the more common ones with some style examples next to them:
|Cotton||Bucket & Legionnaire|
|Polyester||Bucket & Legionnaire|
|Nylon||Bucket & Legionnaire|
|Lycra||Bucket & Legionnaire|
UPF RatingUmm, what on earth is UPF?? UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor. This rating system provides us with information on how much protection our clothing will provide us against the suns rays. Yep, it’s similar to SPF but applies to clothing. See the table below for further information on UPF ratings:
|UPF Rating||Protection||UV Blocked|
|40 and over||Excellent||97.5% or more|
- Clothing that is pulled too tight can become thin and transparent, meaning less effective protection
- Wet clothing becomes significantly less effective
- Old worn out clothing will also lose its ability to protect you from those rays
Fast DryingAs previously mentioned, wet clothing, including hats, may reduce the effectiveness of your sun protection. If you are considering jumping into the water for a cool dip or, if you intend on riding some waves, this might be a consideration for you.
PriceYou probably don’t want to have to hide your credit card statements from your partner and we all want a quality sun hat that doesn’t break the bank. Well ladies, I’ve got you covered, there are lots of high quality and cost-effective options.
AppearanceWe know sun protection is important but we also don’t want to look completely unfashionable while doing protecting our skin. I explore both fashionable and some not so ‘fashionable’ options. Whichever way you choose there is nothing unfashionable protecting your skin.
VentilationTo save your hairstyle, ventilation helps keep your head cool. Some hats have ventilation holes and others have mesh sections. Both have the same purpose – allow heat to escape and keep your cool. Some hats may also have inbuilt sweatbands to keep you nice and dry.
Best Women’s Hats for Sun Protection Comparison
|Camo Coll Boonie Sun Hat||Sunday Afternoons Lotus Hat||Coolibar Tempe Sun Hat||Sloggers Braided Sun Hat||Coolibar Ultra Sun Hat|
|Fast Drying||No||Water resistant||No||No||Yes|
|Fabric||Polyester||Polyester||Natural Fiber / Cotton||Straw||Polyester|
|Price||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon|
5 Best Women’s Hats for Sun ProtectionAfter thorough research that combined discussing issues with customers, reviewing customer feedback, examining manufacturer specifications, participating in safe sun practices forums, SimplySunSafe has chosen the 5 best sun hats for women. These sun hats provide a great UPF rating, are reasonably priced, explore ventilation options, come in different fabrics depending on the activity you want to undertake, and some have fast trying ability for those of you wanting to take a dip.
- 100% polyester and the material is soft
- Diameter(inch): 7.5 inner, 13.5 outer
- UPF 50+ excellent sun protection, Anti-UV and vented
- Adjustable drawstring for fixing the hat, especially in windy days
- Great for hiking, camping, tourism, gardening or any outdoor activity
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe classic bucket hat. It looks standard, but it is anything but, and that’s why this one came out on top. A rating of UPF 50+ gives you lots of protection. I would buy this hat myself, for my girlfriends and even my mom – I believe in its sun protection abilities that much! The soft polyester makes this hat comfortable for all adventures. It has mesh ventilation to keep you nice and cool and a chin strap to prevent it from blowing off your head mid-hike! One size fits all for this one but there is an adjustable drawstring to help it fit you just right. Color options – there are 13 of them! From red to pink, from grey to khaki. You will find one that you like. However, if you can’t decide on just one, this budget friendly option means that you can buy two, or even three!
- UPF 50
- Color options
- Adjustable sizing
- Chin strap
- Budget friendly
- Unsure if hat is quick drying
- Not everyone’s style
- 4" front, 5" rear floatable brim
- Mesh crown ventilation
- Interior crown pocket
- Adjustable sizing with chinstrap
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIJust look at this, the classic adventurer style hat. It’s got so many great features I just had to include it in my recommendations. Where do I even begin? It’s got a wide brim that’s foldable depending on the look you’re going for and provides you with loads of shade and it’s also rated UPF 50+ so you’ve definitely got yourself covered for sun protection! Next up sizing, it’s available in two different sizes plus has an adjustable cord to ensure a snug fit. There’s 2 color options the classic neutral sandstone or if you’re after something a little different the soft pink Passion Flower may be more your style. The polyester fabric makes this hat lightweight and comfortable. The mesh keeps you cool, and the chin strap keeps it securely on your head. This hat is also water repellent so no need to worry about wanting to cool off just jump straight in. It also has an internal secret pocket to stash some lollies, keys or coins. My only negative is that It’s at the higher end of the budget but this is matched to the style, quality and features of this great hat.
- UPF 50
- Water resistant
- Color options
- Chin Strap
- Secret pocket
- Mesh ventilation
- UPF 50+ - blocks 98% of UV radiation
- Wide 4 inch brim for generous face and neck coverage, chin cord with natural wooden bead, and moisture-wicking internal sweatband
- Approx. Circumference: 22 1/2 inches
- Crown fully lined with 100% cotton; Spot clean; Imported
- Recommended for everyday leisure, gathering with friends, strolling the city and enjoying an al fresco lunch
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APILook at this one. I love the look and style of this straw hat. These are my absolute favourite style of hat to wear while holidaying and relaxing. I also love how this one has a little bit of a ‘country’ vibe for something a little different. So, down to business, UPF 50+ rating with optimum protection but still manages to be light and breathable. A large brim all the way around for lots of shade. This hat is lined with cotton and has a sweatband to help wick away moisture. If you are heading off on an adventure then the chin strap will help this guy stay put! Available in one size only and a neutral color options that’s bound to go with all your outfits! The quality of this hat means its price point is a little on the high side, but well worth it.
- UPF 50
- Stylish design and color options
- Chin strap
- One size only
- Unable to get wet
- Rated UPF 50+ maximum sun protection
- Includes high quality hat band for superior comfort and fit
- Wind Lanyard
- Fits women small to medium
- Attractive and practical
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIAnother one of my favourite styles. This time it’s a little bit more budget friendly for you guys. This beauty has a sun protection rating of UPF 50. To make sure you’re comfortable an interior band keeps you dry and a chin lanyard keeps it on your head. Now for sizing it fits small – medium so it might not be suitable for us with bigger heads or loads of hair! It comes in a number of color options and even a ‘floppy’ options for that ‘honeymoon’ vibe. Sloggers is a company that knows sun protection doesn’t have to be unfashionable. The beauty of this one is that it also won’t break your budget. Being fashionable doesn’t mean spending a fortune.
- UPF 50
- Appealing style
- Budget friendly
- Different color options
- Not easy to pack
- Unsuitable to get wet
- UPF 50+ - blocks 98% of UV radiation
- Lite fabric: Ultra-soft with a cotton like feel, lightweight, breathable, quick dry performance; Travel friendly, crushable and packable
- Clip on/off removable self fabric chin strap, fold & tuck away back drape with hook and loop fastener and removable ventilated face drape; Shapeable wire around nose piece for custom fit and comfort
- Adjustable sizing cord in crown for custom fit; Approx. circumference: 22 1/2 inches; Brim: 4 inches (Front) 2 1/2 inches (Sides); Hand wash, line dry; Imported
- Recommended for long days on the water when you need to keep dry and stay UPF 50+ sun protected while sailing, fishing or boating
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APINot as bad as you thought huh?! This stylish Coolibar hat is a great option for those of us looking for a little extra in our sun protection. The wide front brim provides plenty of shade for your face and ear while the neck flap keeps you covered at the back. This hat is overflowing with features. It’s got a UPF rating of 50+ so you’ll get the maximum protection possible. It is crushable so just fold it up and put it in your backpack when you’re travelling. The back neck flap is also able to be folded and tucked away giving you a totally different look. It also has a chin cord which is removable and a removable ventilated face drape if you need extra protection! This hat is made out of soft and breathable cotton which feels super comfortable on your head. Fancy a swim? It is also quick drying! This is a one size only hat but has an adjustable cord at the crown so it’ll fit you just right. For a little bit of variety there are 3 different color options. This hat is a little high in price but with this many features and a well-respected brand it’s well worth the price if this is your style.
- UPF 50
- Easy to pack for travel
- Removable/foldable neck flap, face cover and chin corn for customisation
- Quick drying
- Small variety of colors
- Style is not for everyone