Buyer’s GuideSo you are bracing yourself for windy conditions and want to avoid your umbrella falling apart or flying inside out. The best windproof umbrella is going to have some specific features you will want to look for. See below for my recommendations.
SizeWindproof umbrellas come in all sizes so you need to think about what you plan on using it for. NEed an umbrella just for you or to share? What about the activity you’ll need it for, like golfing or hiking? You won’t want to take a big umbrella on your hike or if it’s just to protect you. But for golf or protecting more than one person, a large umbrella might be more appropriate. Decide on your use first and that will determine your size. Umbrella sizes are not measured how you think they are, or at least how I thought they were! Umbrellas are measured around the curve rather than straight across the width so you will want to make sure you are looking at the correct measurements. Smaller umbrellas for yourself will be somewhere in the range of 35 to 50 inches. This will provide you enough protection to cast some personal shade and isn’t too big that you need to clear space around you when opening. Large umbrellas can reach up to 68 inches in size which can fit 2-3 people… group hug anyone?
WeightWith a windproof umbrella you want it to be heavy enough to stand up to tough windy conditions but not too heavy that it’s a hassle to carry around. A heavier umbrella will most likely be a stronger umbrella but make sure you are comparing umbrellas of the same size when comparing weights.
VentilationIt sounds a big strange to have ventilation as something you would look for in an umbrella right? Well some smart companies now manufacture umbrellas with ventilated areas that allow wind to pass ‘through’ the umbrella, making it more resistant to windy conditions. But don’t worry, these vents don’t let sun or rain through so you’ll still get the protection you need with the added bonus of extra wind resistance.
UPF RatingNow this one does not assist with windy conditions but it important for protecting you from the sun. UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor. This number gives you a tool to understand how much ultraviolet rays may reach your skin and cause sun damage. See the table below for further information on UPF ratings:
|UPF Rating||Protection Category||Percentage of UV Blocked|
|15-20||Good||93.3 – 95.9%|
|25-35||Very good protection||96.0 – 97.4%|
|40 and over||Excellent protection||97.5% or more|
MaterialsFor an umbrella to stand up against the wind it’s going to want to be pretty strong and durable. There are lots of options when it comes to umbrella materials. I have listed some below which you should keep an eye out for when making your purchase.
- Fibreglass – a super tough option for standing up to windy conditions. It’s also safe to use in storms.
- Aluminium – this is a great option for a strong umbrella that will stand up against moderate weather conditions.
- Polyester – perfect for protection you from rain and sun.
UseThis may come as a shock but not all umbrellas are built for both rain and sun! All of the umbrellas I will look at today do both, but If you are after an umbrella dedicated to sun use it could be different to an umbrella you want to use in the rain. Parasols are generally used for sun but may be horrible for rain protection. Make sure you know if you want protection for both before starting your hunt to narrow down your options.
Manual v Push Button OpeningHow do you want to get your umbrella opened and looking after your skin? This may be a selling point for you or you may not have even thought about it! Umbrellas come as automatic opening which open (and perhaps close) with one press of a button. Others will require you to manually push them open and close yourself. To make the comparison easy to consider check out my pros and cons for both below: Push Button Opening Pros
- Easy to use – especially for children and the elderly
- Fast opening
- May be more expensive
- Convenient when getting into cars
- Only require one hand to open – perfect if you’re always doing two things at once
- Once broken may be unable to be used
- Hard to fix
- Could potentially cause injuries if opened unexpectedly or by children
- Easy to use
- User controls opening and closing
- Hard for children to open
- Requires some coordination and hand strength
PriceUmbrellas come in all different types of quality, colors and sizes which means they are also all different prices! Depending on what you are after umbrellas can range anywhere from some under $20 to into the hundreds.
Best Windproof Umbrella Comparison
|SunTek UV Protection Umbrella||JOYAKI Compact Umbrella||G4Free Vented Umbrella||BAGAIL Inverted Umbrella||RENZER Windproof Umbrella|
|Protection||Sun & Rain||Sun & Rain||Sun & Rain||Sun & Rain||Sun & Rain|
|Size (inches)||68||42||62 or 68||47.2||43|
|Weight (ounces)||28.8||4||17.6 or 27.2||15.8||13|
|Price||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon|
5 Best Windproof UmbrellasAfter thorough research that combined discussing issues with customers, reviewing customer feedback, examining manufacturer specifications, and participating in forums, SimplySunSafe has chosen the 5 best umbrellas for windy conditions. All of these have the features we looked at in the buyers guide including great UPF ratings, wind resistance design, a range of sizes and weights, and a large range of materials and colors.
- UV PROTECTION – Silver coating reflects heat to cool you down with a 50+ UPF rating to block 99% of the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB solar rays
- WIND & WEATHER RESISTANT - 100% nylon, double-canopy, Vortec venting system prevents the umbrella from inverting during high winds; built to provide protection from sun, rain, hail, snow, and sleet
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - Fiberglass shaft and ribs not only make this umbrella durable and lightweight but also provide extra safety in the event of a lightning storm
- EXTRA LARGE CANOPY – Oversized 68” arc, 57” diameter is big enough to provide shade for two people; umbrella stands 42.5” and comes with a matching sleeve for convenient storage
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE - provides comfortable grip for both left and right-handed users and fits into most golf cart umbrella mounts
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe SunTek UV Protection Wind Cheater is a great option for those on the hunt for a large windproof umbrella. SunTek have designed this umbrella as the only one you’ll ever need. It’s a huge 68 inches which is big enough to fit two people comfortably, 3 people if you really like them. The shaft and ribs are made from high quality fibreglass resulting in a super sturdy and thunderstorm safe umbrella. The Wind Cheater umbrella canopy is 100% nylon and has a UPF rating of 50 giving you the best sun protection available. Built with sun protection in mind the external color has a silver coating to reflect away UV rays to help keep you cool. The Wind Cheater gets its name from the innovative vortec venting system which features a double canopy that helps to prevent the umbrella from inverting during high winds. A universal ergonomic handle will fit in most golf carts and will make both left and right handers happy. The Wind Cheater umbrella is available in 4 different internal colors depending on your taste. Each umbrella also comes with a matching cover for protection. It’s a mid-range budget option that will suit everybody.
- UPF 50
- Color options
- Large enough for 2 people
- Fibreglass for a sturdy make and storm-safe option
- Innovative venting system
- Matching storage bag
- Does not fold down into compact size
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe Joyaki is a compact windproof option for those of you looking for something a bit more portable. Featuring a 42 inch canopy it is a mid-size travel umbrella that folds down to a small 13 inches. The canopy is rated a great UPF 50 so you are well-protected from the sun. This umbrella is crafted from premium fibreglass and high quality stainless steel. The frame has 10 ribs for superior strength against windy conditions. Opening and closing is a breeze, especially if you have your hands full, with the automatic button function. An ergonomically designed slip proof handle puts comfort and safety first, there is also an elastic loop so it won’t be blown away. The Joyaki is also abrasion, mold and mildew resistant so you don’t need to worry about leaving it out to dry before packing it away. Color options are limited with a dark blue or black option. The Joyaki is a steal though and comes in as a low budget option.
- UPF 50
- Compact size
- Fibreglass for a sturdy make and storm safe option
- Resistant to mold and mildew
- Automatic open and close
- Limited color options
- THE ULTIMATE GOLF UMBRELLA With a 54/62/68-inch canopy and heavy duty design, the G4Free Ultimate Golf Umbrella is an ideal companion for golfers, the business professional or for daily life. With its sleek all black design, comfortable EVA grip, sturdy frame and auto open mechanism, the G4Free Ultimate Golf Umbrella is perfect in a metropolitan city or a sports field!
- PROTECTS FROM THE ELEMENTS Never get caught in the rain (or sun) again. The G4Free Ultimate Golf Umbrella will protect you from anything that mother nature can throw at you; rain, hail or shine. The canopy uses ultra water resistant 210T pongee fabric. This silk derived material is lightweight, and water resistant with SPF 50+ protection.
- YOU (WON'T) BE BLOWN AWAY The double-canopy design and fiberglasses frame will ensure that your umbrella is VIRTUALLY WINDPROOF. Wind will simply not break it. The double-canopy design creates a vent during where wind can pass through, making the umbrella much easier to handle in harsh conditions.
- OPENS FAST Automatic Open functionality ensures that there will be no delay to your comfort. Fast and reliable automatic opening function. Simply press the button on the handle to open.
- ONE YEAR GUARANTEE. We engineer our umbrellas to stand the test of time. For the ribs and tips we use fiberglass, which is flexible and durable. The canopy is created using chain stitching with nine stitches per inch. We stand behind the durability of our goods and offer an unconditional guarantee against any defects in craftsmanship.
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThe G4Free Double Canopy Umbrella is a great options for those looking for more coverage during sunny and windy conditions. It is the ultimate golf umbrella with a large canopy and a durable sturdy design which is sure to stand up against tough weather conditions. The frame is crafted from stainless steel coated in high-grade resin, the ribs are made from fibreglass which is a more flexible but still durable option. The UPF 50 rated double canopy creates a vent allowing wind to pass through. All of these features make this G4Free umbrella virtually windproof. The G4Free uses an automatic opening mechanism, great for those of us with only one spare hand never a second to spare. Even though this umbrella is built tough it is still lightweight and alose mold resistant. Two different size options of 62 inch or a massive 68 inch will give you the ultimate coverage. Each size also has a number of color options too so there’s bound to be one that suits your taste. A great mid range budget option.
- UPF 50
- Larger size
- Size options
- Color options
- Fibreglass make for a sturdy make and storm safe option
- Resistant to mold
- Automatic open
- Does not come with storage bag
- Does not fold down into compact size
- ANTI-ULTRAVIOLET - UPF>50+ Sunscreen fabric production, Double layer protection, Light transmittance is "0".
- Hands&Drip free: Great for phone user and mothers, Cross the C-shape handle over your arm, made your hands free for holding a baby, bag or mobile if needed. Creative investing design, inside-out design prevents water from dripping, keeping floors and cars dry.
- INVERTED DESIGN - The surface of the umbrella cloth wet will cleverly folded. So it won't get wet when you get in or out of the car.
- Durable Windproof: The double layer inverted umbrella made of pongee cloth, durable black electric ribs and double layer ribs make the cars umbrella more sturdy, enhance its windproof effect
- Easy To Storage: It can stand up on its own, ideal for when you have nowhere to prop your umbrella up against. It will also keep the wet part of the umbrella inside once you've closed it, so things don't get dripped on when you put it away after coming indoors
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThis umbrella just keeps popping up in my lists. Since first reviewing these I have seen them everywhere. I am going to assume you have not seen these before and give you the entire breakdown on why this is a fabulous purchase. The BAGAIL inverted umbrella is an innovative design to make your life easier. Covering you in all weather conditions, sunny, windy or wet, its canopy features a UPF rating of 50 so a majority of the sun’s ultraviolet rays won’t reach your skin. The inverted design means this umbrella folds upwards so no more drips and… getting in and out of the car is a lot less awkward! A smartly design handle gives this umbrella a hands free usage. Ideal for those who are constantly on their phones or busy mums and dads who need their hands free. At just over 42 inches, this umbrella is ideal for one person, 2 if you are really friendly. A carbon fibre shaft and ribs give this umbrella a wind resistance and also prevents rusting. Now for the fun stuff, there is a huge number of colors and patterns to choose from. Everything from clouds to sunflowers and solids colors are available. A mid range budget option that is perfect for you if you are after something that has just enough coverage for one person and is a little different.
- UPF 50
- Large range of color and pattern options
- Carbon fibre for a sturdy make with no rusting
- Innovative design
- Handle design to assist with hands free use
- Does not fold down into compact size
- STRONG WATERPROOF-Amazing waterproof ability. The surface of this kind of umbrella is made of speacil fiber material of ultra-high density, heaving passed the waterproof test level 5 (the highest level) .The drops will flip away when the rain falls. It only needs you to shake gently after closing the umbrella, then all the drops will gone.
- WINDPROOF CONSTRUCTION- Strengthened black steel shaft and ribs bring you a calm temperament. Ribs sprayed with the super anti-corrosion nickel coating will never rust. Wind-resistent frame systems are composed of premium fiberglass and high quality stainless steel, making us be superior to most other umbrellas.
- UV PROTECTION-The high-tech coating and 0% light transmittance design prevent 95% of UV, which makes your sexy and healthy skin fall in love with it, too.
- FAST AUTO OPEN AND CLOSE-Auto open/close function allows you to operate the umbrella in one second with one hand.No more waiting for your umbrella to open or close while you get soaked by the rain!
- BEATIFUL SURFACE-The unique and beautiful cherry blossom surrounded at the edge of the umbrella, which is standing out and will always cheer you up in those rainy days or any dismal time.
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APILucky last, but by no means the least, another compact travel windproof option. The Renzer travel umbrella might be small on size but it isn’t small on features. A 100% polyester canopy with a rating of UPF 50 has you covered through all weather conditions. When opened the arc measures approximately 43 inches and the whole umbrella closes down to 11 inches and weighs just 13 ounces! To ensure you are guaranteed protection from the elements there are two canopies. The 8 ribs and shaft are made from strong and sturdy fibreglass to assist in strong winds or storms. Getting it open and closed is a breeze with an automatic button feature, one press and up it goes. An anti-slip rubberized handle helps reduce hand and wrist soreness. The outer layer features a black background with a unique design of cherry blossoms while the inner layer is available in 4 different different colors. A low budget option for anyone looking for s tough travel umbrella.
- UPF 50
- Color options
- Sturdy make
- Auto open and close
- Floral design may not appeal to everyone