Buyer’s GuideHere are some factors that you should keep in mind when considering which tan extender is right for you:
IngredientsSimplySunSafe believes that the most important factor to consider when looking for a tan extender is the ingredients list. Always make sure your product comes with a complete ingredients list so you can be fully aware of what you are putting on your skin. Tan extenders in particular are specially formulated to target different skin issues. While any good tan extender should contain moisturizing ingredients, you may want to look for a product that also provides anti-aging benefits, or that promotes healing of damaged skin, or that provides extra moisture for very dry skin. SimplySunSafe especially loves products that contain mostly natural ingredients, but of course, not all chemicals are necessarily harmful and may actually be doing good as well. When in doubt, you can use an ingredients analyzer such as the one provided by Skin Carisma. Just copy and paste any ingredients list and it will generate an analysis of each ingredient so that you know exactly what the purpose of each one is and whether it is good for your skin or not. Some tan extenders also come with bronzers to add extra color, but it is worthy to note that the only FDA-approved color additive in tan extenders is DHA (dihydroxyacetone) so you should steer clear of any product that has other ingredients listed as color additives.
ScentAnother factor to take into consideration when buying a tan extending lotion is the smell. You want to make sure you’re getting a product with a smell you like, because it does not matter how great a product works; if you can’t stand the smell, it won’t be of any use to you! Make sure to look at the bottle and read through the product description to see if the product lists a specific scent. Otherwise, read through reviews to see what other product users have said about it. And of course, if you are sensitive to smells, then try to find a product that is either scentless or one that has a very light, neutral smell that won’t bother you.
Best Tan Extender Comparison
|Golden Star Beauty Tan Extender||Australian Gold Hemp Nation Tan Extender||Devoted Creations So Naughty Tan Extender||Australian Gold Moisture Lock Tan Extender||Ed Hardy Ink Moisturizer & Tan Extender|
|Ingredient Features||Organic, natural, vegan, paraben-free, sulfate-free, gluten-free, alcohol-free, anti-aging, promotes healing||Anti-aging, promotes healing, paraben-free, sulfate-free, alcohol-free||Anti-aging, promotes healing, bronzer, silicone, diamond dust||Anti-aging, promotes healing, fights acne, alcohol-free, sulfate-free||Anti-aging, promotes healing, brightening, vegan, paraben-free, sulfate-free|
|Scent||Light, natural||Light, clean||Pink Sugar||Coconut, orange, vanilla||Bourbon & Honey|
|Price||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon|
5 Best Tan ExtendersAfter thorough research into different tanning extension products, which included analyzing product reviews, examining manufacturing details, and participating in skin care forums, SimplySunSafe has chosen one tan extender to rule them all. Each recommended product uses safe and gentle ingredients in its formulation and has a pleasant scent. They also have very high customer approval ratings as a bonus.
- PERFECT SUNKISSED TAN WITHOUT HURTING YOUR SKIN: MADE WITH PURE, NATURAL and ORGANIC ingredients perfectly blended to prolong the life of your sunless, spray or suntan. ORGANIC ALOE VERA, ORGANIC OILS (ARGAN OIL, OLIVE OIL, JOJOBA OIL, AVOCADO OIL), HYALURONIC ACID and VITAMINS B2, B5 and B12. Made in the USA with no nasty chemicals, no parabens, no formaldehyde, vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free and sealed for your protection
- MAKE YOUR BODY LOOK STUNNING: EXCLUSIVE FADE-FIGHTING formula specially designed to extend the life and look of your beautiful tan – whether it is from self-tanner, spray tan, indoor tanning bed or sun. Note also that our tan extending lotion also works as an UNBEATABLE DAILY MOISTURIZER. It helps prolong your tan for up to 3 days longer and leaves your skin velvety soft. NO FAKE TAN SMELL, NON-COMEDOGENIC and NON-STICKY.
- PERFECT VALENTINE GIFT FOR HER: Find the way to her heart & delight her with something truly special when you present her with this organic tan extender lotion! Designed for impressive results – the proof is the glowing skin of our customers (check out the customer reviews). Personalize it with a thoughtful, written message to win the heart of your Girlfriend, Wife, Mom, Sister, or Friend.
- A MUST-HAVE FOR EVERY REGULAR TANNER: For perfect results and a tan that lasts longer and fades evener. Our tan extender moisturizer guarantees optimum self-tanning results, reduces tan break-up, improves fade and is specially formulated to work with our self-tanning oil.
- PERFECT FOR ALL SKIN TYPES and ALL TYPES OF TAN: even the most sensitive ones. Enjoy a beautiful, sun-kissed glow even through the winter months using our ORGANIC SELF TANNING OIL and ORGANIC TAN EXTENDER LOTION
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIGolden Star Beauty’s Tan Extender Body Lotion is SimplySunSafe’s pick for the best tan extender. We love it because it’s made with pure, organic, natural ingredients and is specifically formulated to extend the life of your tan. It has all that you need from a tan extender, while being ethically responsible to boot! This lotion extends tans for at least three days longer, and skin is left feeling silky smooth. A non-comedogenic and non-sticky product, it works for all skin types and all kinds of tans, even very sensitive ones. It’s also made with no chemicals, parabens, or formaldehyde, and is gluten-free, cruelty-free, and vegan. Its natural ingredients will not only extend your tan, but will work to make sure it fades evenly too. Among the ingredients you can find in a bottle are the following:
- Organic Aloe Vera
- Organic Avocado, Coconut, Jojoba, Olive, and Argan oils
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamins B2, B5, and B12
- Coffee Seed Extract
- Made with organic ingredients
- Free of parabens and dyes
- Caution must be taken to wash hands after application due to small amount of DHA present
- Pure Hemp Seed Oil: Provides supreme hydration with a highly evolved balance of essential fatty and amino acids
- HydraRich Blend: Ultimate moisturizing trio of Shea Butter, Jojoba and Glycerin work to hydrate and lock-in moisture to the skin
- Age Defying Blend: A super charged fusion of Vitamin A, E and B5 offer natural protection against the signs of aging, while Soft Focus Microspheres work to help diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkle
- THC-Drug and Paraben Free
- This Tropical Dream fragrance will have you wishing for more
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIAustralian Gold’s Hemp Nation Tan Extender is a lightweight, moisture-rich formula that will leave your skin feeling silky smooth. It contains hemp seed oil which has essential fatty and amino acids which help to repair damaged skin, and shea butter, jojoba, and glycerin hydrate and lock in skin’s moisture. It’s also formulated with an age-defying blend; vitamins A, E, and B5 protect against aging while soft-focus microspheres help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It has a soft, clean smell suitable for those with scent sensitivities, and is free of parabens and the THC drug. Some users complain that since it is a thick lotion, the product runs out quickly. However, others assert that you don’t need to use much to cover your body.
- Promotes healing
- Paraben- and THC-free
- Thick so product can run out quickly
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIDevoted Creations’ So Naughty Nude Tan Extending Moisturizer is another great product that moisturizes skin, prolongs tans, and prevents fading. In addition to all that, though, it also gives skin an extra boost; it’s a bronzer, and has anti-aging and skin-firming properties so that skin appears younger and feels tighter, silkier, softer, and smoother. Additionally, it will leave your skin illuminated and glowing due to the presence of silicone and diamond dust. And all with a delicious pink sugar smell! Some further benefits of the product’s technologies are the following:
- Dead Sea Mineral Complex: repairs skin damage, improves skin tone, texture, and elasticity, and reverses signs of aging.
- Argan Oil: prevents premature skin aging
- SunxTend™: prevents color fading and prolongs tan
- Ideal Lift™ Technology: improves skin elasticity and tightness and fights against sagging
- Body Fit™ Technology: reduces the appearance of cellulite and improves firmness
- Renovage™ Technology: firms, hydrates, and plumps the skin
- Light, silky moisturizer
- Anti-aging and skin-firming properties
- Diamond dust skin illuminators
- DHA-free bronzer
- Some fragrant ingredients may cause irritation to sensitive skin
- Contains parabens
- Contains alcohol
- Extends the life of your tan and seals in moisture for a smooth, glowing complexion
- Contains panthenol and aloe
- Conditions skin to help lock in color
- Vitamin E helps to nourish skin
- Australian Gold signature fragrance
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThis lotion by Australian Gold is excellent for hydrating skin and for helping to extend the life of your tan. It uses a unique blend of ingredients which lock in moisture for smooth and silky skin, leaving you with a beautiful, soft, glowing complexion. Additionally, it’s non-greasy, fast-absorbing, and has properties that help to tighten skin. It is also specially formulated to be free of PABA (Para-aminobenzoic acid), dyes, alcohol, and gluten. Some of its enriching ingredients are the following:
- Australian Tea Tree Oil: a strong antioxidant that gently cleanses for smooth skin.
- Sunflower Seed and Olive Fruit Oils: these moisturizing oils work to smooth and hydrate skin.
- Aloe Vera: this natural extract naturally soothes and conditions skin.
- Panthenol: this is a non-irritating, highly moisturizing form of Vitamin B which also reduces inflammation and itching.
- Vitamin E: this ingredient works to nourish skin.
- Extends tan by locking in moisture
- Non-greasy, fast-absorbing moisturizer
- PABA-free; dye-free; alcohol-free
- Skin-tightening properties
- Buyers sensitive to scents may find the smell a bit too strong.
- Contains parabens
- Some pump issues
- Shea Butters - Softens skin without greasy residue. Body Fit – Reduces the appearance of cellulite and promotes firmness.
- Lotus Extract - Powerful anti-aging benefits along with high levels of antioxidants.
- Hypoallergenic - Oil free and wheat free product.
- Tattoo & Color Fade Protector - Protects the life and luster of your tattoos and tanning results.
- Vitamins E & C - Boost radiance and enhance skin’s appearance by fighting free radical damage. Fragrance: Bourbon & Honey
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APISimplySunSafe’s final pick for some of the best tan extending lotions on the market is a special formula for those with tattoos. But that doesn’t mean you need to have tattoos to use it! Ed Hardy’s INK is a super-moisturizing formula highly concentrated with shea butter, vitamins, and essential skin nutrients, and leaves all types of skin super soft and hydrated. It’s a long-lasting, luxurious cream that nourishes, protects, and helps to restore skin’s moisture levels. Its rich, whipped texture is easy to apply and quickly absorbed, without leaving a greasy feel. Its Tattoo & Color Fade technology protects your tattoos and makes them shine, while also improving your tanning results. Some of its key features are the following:
- Shea butter: softens skin with no greasy residue
- Body Fit formula: reduces appearance of cellulite and promotes firmness
- Lotus extract: anti-aging benefits and lots of antioxidants
- Vitamins E & C: boost skin’s radiance and fight skin damage
- Protects and brightens tattoos
- Fragrance can cause irritation to sensitive skin
- Contains alcohol
- Some users find scent too strong and/or manly