Buyer’s GuideYou want to be sure that your skin is properly protected in the desert sun of Las Vegas. To do that, there are a few must-have features that you should search for in your sunscreen:
Broad spectrum protectionPerhaps the most important feature you need to look for when searching for sunscreen is broad spectrum protection. This means that you are receiving balanced protection from both UVA and UVB rays. This is essential because each type of radiation works differently.
- UVB rays are the commonly noticed rays which damage the outer layer of your skin, leaving you tanned or burned
- UVA rays are perhaps less thought about, but are more dangerous, penetrating the deepest layer of your skin (the dermis) and causing premature aging, like wrinkles, by damaging skin DNA
Best SPF for Las VegasDo you just assume that a higher Sun Protection Factor (SPF) rating means that you’re getting better coverage? This is true, but the numbers aren’t exactly as they seem. SPF is one of those things that most people have a vague understanding of but don’t fully understand. I’m going to fix this for you as it’s important in helping you choose the right sunscreen. A sunscreen’s SPF tells you what fraction of the sun’s rays will reach your skin if you have properly applied the sunscreen. For example, if you are wearing a sunscreen with an SPF rating of 30, then only 1/30th of the sun’s rays will reach your skin. This explains why you can stay longer in the sun when you’re wearing sunscreen. But don’t overdo it! Wearing a sunscreen with an SPF rating of 30 does not mean that you can stay in the sun 30 times longer than if you weren’t wearing sunscreen. There are many factors that influence the effectiveness of SPF including the time of day, the amount of properly applied sunscreen, and even reflections from surfaces like sand and water. Check out this table below. It will help you to better understand how SPF works and the amount of protection you get from different ratings.
|SPF Rating||UVB Protection|
Physical is better than chemicalSunscreens can be divided into two groups – chemical and physical. The differences are more important than you may think. They lie in the active ingredients and in the way that the sunscreens work to protect your skin.
- Chemical sunscreens absorb UV rays as they reach your skin
- Physical sunscreens reflect UV rays before they reach your skin
- work immediately upon application
- last longer
- are less likely to cause irritation
- have a longer shelf life
Suitable for daily useWhile you may not sweat in Las Vegas as you would in other places, that does not mean that the sun isn’t reaching your skin! You will feel the strong heat, and let that be a reminder that the sun’s UV rays are also strong. That is why you will need to be sure to wear sunscreen everyday and at all times when you are in the sun in Las Vegas. Finding a sunscreen to incorporate into your daily skincare routine can feel challenging. There are a few questions you should answer for yourself before beginning your search:
- Do you want to use one sunscreen for both your face and body?
- What are the skin conditions or sensitivities that you need to accommodate?
- Will you wear makeup on top of the sunscreen?
Rub on lotion not sprayAdding another step to your daily skincare routine can feel tedious, and it’s understandable to search for a quick and easy option. Spray sunscreen appears to provide quick and convenient sun protection, and they’re marketed as working just as well as rub on lotions. However, I advise you to choose rub on lotions rather than spray sunscreens. The truth is that spray sunscreens present issues in terms of safety and effectiveness. Something that you may not be thinking about is what happens when you apply spray sunscreen to your face and body. You are very likely inhaling some of the spray formula, without realizing it. Your skin is meant to handle the chemicals in sunscreen, but your inner lung tissue is not! In terms of effectiveness, think about it logically. When you’re applying spray sunscreen you do not have the same amount of control over spreading the adequate amount of formula evenly all over your skin. You would need to spend much more time applying a spray sunscreen to ensure sufficiency, and quicker application is probably one of the reasons you would buy it in the first place! So while it may seem counterintuitive, using a rub on lotion instead of spray sunscreen will actually save you time in proper application and it is much safer. So choose a rub on sunscreen for Las Vegas!
Best Sunscreen for Las Vegas Comparison
|thinksport Sunscreen||EltaMD UV Pure||Vanicream Sunscreen||BADGER Sport Sunscreen||Tropical Sands All Natural|
|Active ingredients||Zinc Oxide (20%)||Zinc Oxide (10%) & Titanium Dioxide (5.5%)||Zinc Oxide (6%) & Titanium Dioxide (3.4%)||Zinc Oxide (22.5%)||Zinc Oxide (22.5%) & Titanium Dioxide (6%)|
|Water resistance||80 Minutes||80 Minutes||80 Minutes||80 Minutes||40 Minutes|
|Price||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon|
5 Best Sunscreens for Las VegasAfter thorough research into what is needed for sun protection in Las Vegas which included discussing issues with customers, reviewing customer feedback, examining manufacturer specifications, and participating in skincare forums, SimplySunSafe has compiled the 5 best sunscreens for Las Vegas. Each sunscreen provides physical, broad spectrum protection with an SPF rating of 30 or greater. These products are effective yet gentle enough for daily use!
- First sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements and top-rated by EWG since creation in 2010 with a “1” rating. Recipient of a tremendous amount of awards
- Free of biologically harmful chemicals like avobenzone, oxybenzone, paraben, phthalates, PABA, 1,4 dioxane, and UV chemical absorbers
- Highly effective with an SPF at 50+. Highest level of water resistance per the FDA (80-minute water resistance) and broad-spectrum coverage for UVA and UVB
- Reef Friendly: Free of known reef damaging chemicals and highly biodegradable. Non-nano zinc oxide formulation, non-aerosol formulation
- Applies and absorbs easily without the oily feeling or obtrusive smell of traditional sunscreens. Leaping Bunny certified cruelty free, gluten free & vegan
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APISimplySunSafe’s first choice for the best sunscreen for Vegas is thinksport Sunscreen SPF 50+. This high SPF formula provides broad spectrum protection with its active ingredient zinc oxide (20%). Thinksport in unmatched in safety and was the first sunscreen to pass the Whole Foods premium care requirements. It is extremely gentle on skin and won’t cause any irritation even when used daily. Whether you’re a visitor or a local, the gentle, high SPF protection will serve you well in the dry, but scorching Vegas sun. Something to keep in mind about thinksport when considering it as your Vegas sunscreen, is that it has a thick formula. This makes it a bit hard to rub in and it tends to leave a slight white cast on skin. Just think of it as a sign that you’re protected! You can use some makeup to cover it up, if you’d like. As locals know and visitors will quickly learn, the Vegas climate is dry, not humid, so you won’t find yourself sweating more than usual. Thinksport Sunscreen does give you 80 minutes of water resistance which may be useful to you if you sweat regularly anyway, or if you plan to spend some time by the pool. If you’re looking for sunscreens for the children in your life, as well, take a look at thinksport Kids and thinkbaby. Quality protection for every family member! thinksport SPF 50+ is so amazing for dry heat it’s also our number 1 pick for a sunscreen for Dubai. So not matter the hot, party city you’re in – thinksport has you covered!
- High SPF
- Gentle enough for daily use
- Available in kids and baby formulas
- Thick formula
- Gentle and lightweight
- Water-resistant (80 minutes)
- 10.0% transparent zinc oxide, 5.5% titanium dioxide
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIAnother great choice for travelers and Vegas locals is EltaMD UV Pure. Your broad spectrum protection is covered with a combination of active ingredients – zinc oxide (10%) and titanium dioxide (5.5%). EltaMD UV Pure will provide you with reliable protection from the strong sun in Vegas, while remaining gentle on your skin during daily use. It is a non-comedogenic, lightweight, and oil-free formula so it will not leave your skin feeling greasy. The formula can start to leave a white cast after a couple of reapplications or if you start to sweat, which won’t be so much of a problem in Vegas. If you find the white cast bothersome, you can wear some makeup on top as the sunscreen’s lightweight formula makes it really easy to apply on top. EltaMD UV Pure also provides you with the option of 80 minutes of water resistance if you find yourself in need. Compared to other products with zinc oxide as the active ingredient, EltaMD UV Pure’s formula is very lightweight which makes it very popular. It a great option for visitors and Vegas locals alike!
- Lightweight, non-greasy formula
- Ideal for use with makeup
- 80 minute water resistance
- May leave a slight white cast after reapplication
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIVanicream is another reliable option for use in Vegas by locals and visitors alike. It is dermatologist recommended, making it ideal as a product for Vegas locals, as it will be gentle and safe enough to incorporate fully into your lifestyle. Broad spectrum protection is given through the active ingredients zinc oxide (6%) and titanium dioxide (3.4%). The high SPF gives you extra protection against the strong UVB rays, as well! Irritation on your face or body will never cross your mind with Vanicream as it is formulated especially for sensitive skin and is non-comedogenic. The formula is thick so you will need to be sure to rub it in well. Vanicream does not leave a white cast on skin like some other sunscreens, but can leave your skin feeling a bit heavy if you apply makeup on top of it. Again, with Vanicream, you have the bonus of 80 minutes of water resistance if you find yourself cooling down in an outside pool in Vegas! The thick formula also hydrates dry skin, which might be useful in the very dry heat in Las Vegas. Definitely a product worth testing out for Las Vegas!
- Formulated for sensitive skin
- No white cast
- High SPF
- Can feel heavy when used with makeup
- One of our simplest sunscreens, just 5 ingredients and no added scent! Water & sweat resistant for at least 80 minutes of swimming or activity.
- Broad spectrum protection from UVA & UVB rays using the safe mineral Zinc Oxide – No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or other chemical active sunscreening agents.
- 100% Certified Natural and 94% Certified Organic. Unscented with an antioxidant-rich Sunflower Oil base.
- BPA & phthalate-free tube from #2 recyclable plastic. Biodegradable and safe for coral reefs and other ecosystems.
- No animal testing.
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIBADGER Sport is a go to product here at SimplySunSafe and it will protect you well in Vegas! It provides broad spectrum protection with a high concentration of zinc oxide (22.5%) and has a deceptively simple formula. With a total of only five ingredients, BADGER is gentle on the face and body and is ideal for daily use without irritation. The formula is thick and requires effort to properly rub in, and as is with many sunscreens with zinc oxide, BADGER will leave a white cast on your skin. It is something that you can cover up with makeup without your skin feeling too suffocated. BADGER also provides 80 minutes of water resistance, if you need it. This is another sunscreen that provides options for the family. Check out BADGER Kids and BADGER Baby if you’re looking for sun protection for the little ones. The SPF rating is not as high as the other recommendations, but BADGER is still an option worth testing out for Las Vegas!
- High concentration of zinc oxide
- Simple and gentle formula
- Available for kids and babies
- Thick formula
- Slight white cast
- MORE COSMETICALLY APPEALING - The titanium dioxide and zinc oxide used is micronized, no coarse particles. The protection is less visible, yet remains on the skin's surface and won't absorb into your skin
- 2019 EWG RATING "1" TOP PICK - Tropical Sands SPF 50 made it to the top of the list recommended by the EWG with a rating of 1, the lowest on the EWG scale (1-10). Our SPF 50 is one of the only SPF 50 sunscreens to receive this prestigious rating.
- CERTIFIED BIODEGRADABLE SUNSCREEN! Safe to use in nature parks and other areas where chemical contamination is a concern. Formulated with GREEN TEA, a powerful antioxidant.
- NO chemical fragrances, NO chemical preservatives (parabens) or emulsifiers. Proudly made in the USA!
- NOTE: As a natural mineral sunscreen, this does not fully absorb into the skin (for your safety) and may leave a white gleam on skin.
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APISimplySunSafe’s last recommendation for sunscreen for Vegas is Tropical Sands Sunscreen Cream. This formula is made for very intense sun exposure, like the dry, strong heat of Vegas. It provides broad spectrum protection through a high concentration combination of active ingredients zinc oxide (22.5%) and titanium dioxide (6%). The formula is all natural and very gentle for your skin during daily use. It even has green tea which will condition your skin while protecting it! The formula is thick and requires effort to rub in. It will leave a white cast, but you can lessen the effect if you add a bit of lotion or water while you’re applying the sunscreen. Tropical Sands is a very strong option with a high SPF rating for sun protection in the blazing Vegas sun. It is up to you to decide whether or not the white cast will bother you too much. Give it a try to see if you might like it!
- Very high concentration of active ingredients
- Gentle enough for daily use
- High SPF
- Thick formula
- White cast