Buyer’s GuideMake the decision to get organized before your begin your search and focus on the must-have features for your keratosis pilaris sunscreen:
Broad spectrum protectionIt goes without saying that any sunscreen you search for should provide broad spectrum protection. It is a type of protection that should be applied daily. What it means is that you are receiving balanced protection against both UVA and UVB rays, which is important to specify because each type of ray damages your skin in a different way.
- UVB rays are the rays we notice most frequently, as they damage the outer layer of your skin causing you to burn or tan.
- UVA rays will creep into your conscious later, but with more of a vengeance because they penetrate the deepest layer of your skin (the dermis) and cause premature aging.
Best SPF for Keratosis PilarisThe Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is one of those things that you just assume you understand and decide on without really considering it. Don’t worry, you are certainly not alone. But it would certainly aid your search to truly understand how it works. Listen to this: SPF tells you what fraction of the sun’s rays will reach your skin if you have properly applied your sunscreen. If you’re wearing a sunscreen with an SPF rating of 50, then 1/50th of the sun’s rays will reach your skin. That sounds really low, right? It is, but don’t get carried away (and aggravate your keratosis pilaris). Just because you’re using an SPF rating of 50 does not mean that you can stay out in the sun 50 times longer than if you weren’t wearing sunscreen. Surprisingly, there are quite a few factors which influence the effectiveness of SPF including the time of day (think peak hours), amount of sunscreen properly applied (not hastily rubbed on), and even reflections from surfaces like water and sand. This table helped me to better understand what protection you get from different SPF ratings. Check it out:
|SPF Rating||UVB Protection|
Physical is better than chemicalDid you know that sunscreens can be broken down into two categories- chemical and physical? It was new information to me! The differences between the categories lie in their active ingredients and in how they work to protect your skin. Chemical sunscreens soak into your skin and absorb UV rays as they reach your skin, whereas physical sunscreens reflect UV rays before they reach your skin. Take a guess which is safer? Physical sunscreens give us many reasons to choose them over chemical ones. Physical sunscreens:
- Work immediately upon application
- Last longer
- Are less likely to cause irritation
- Have a longer shelf life
Moisturizing formulaThe itchiness that can sometimes come along with your keratosis pilaris can be treated and soothed using a variety of creams, but what if you decided to focus more on prevention? Often times, the itchiness is cause, or exacerbated, by dryness. Using a sunscreen that is designed to provide moisture to your skin will not only protect you from UV rays, but also nourish your skin and prevent further discomfort or inflammation of your keratosis pilaris.
Baby or sensitive formulaBesides the dryness that your skin experiences, it is overall more sensitive when you have a skin condition such as keratosis pilaris. Products and sunscreens that are designed for ‘normal’ skin types will not be the best fit for you, and that’s okay! There are plenty of good quality sunscreens that work well on sensitive skin. The best places to search are in the baby section and through products that are designed especially for sensitive skin. Your keratosis pilaris will thank you later!
Best Sunscreen for Keratosis Pilaris Comparison
|Vanicream Sunscreen||Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection||Badger Baby Sunscreen||Blue Lizard Sensitive||California Baby Super Sensitive|
|Active ingredients||Zinc Oxide (6%) & Titanium Dioxide (3.4%)||Zinc Oxide (21.6%)||Zinc Oxide (18.75%)||Zinc Oxide (10%) & Titanium Dioxide (5%)||Titanium Dioxide (12%)|
|Water resistance||80 minutes||80 minutes||40 minutes||None||80 minutes|
|Price||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon|
5 Best Sunscreens for Keratosis PilarisFollowing extensive research into how to properly protect keratosis pilaris which included discussing issues with customers, reviewing customer feedback, examining manufacturer specifications, and participating in skincare forums, SimplySunSafe has compiled a list of the 5 best sunscreens for keratosis pilaris. Each sunscreen provides physical, broad spectrum protection with an SPF rating of 30 or higher. They all provide moisturizing protection and keep skin sensitivity in mind!
- Dermatologist Recommended
- Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- No Sensitizing Chemical Sunscreen
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIVanicream is SimplySunSafe’s star pick for keratosis pilaris. This sunscreen provides broad spectrum protection with its active ingredients zinc oxide (6%) and titanium dioxide (3.4%). Read its name and you will understand that Vanicream Sunscreen is specifically designed for sensitive skin. This sunscreen comes from a trusted, dermatologist-recommended line of skin products that nourish sensitive skin with various conditions, including keratosis pilaris. The formula is very thick and extremely moisturizing, which will ease some of your itchiness with keratosis pilaris. The only drawback is that the sunscreen does not work well under makeup. Vanicream Sunscreen is also a great option for the warmer weather or water activities because it provides you with 80 minutes of durable water resistance!
- Very moisturizing
- Designed for sensitive skin
- 80 minutes of water resistance
- Doesn’t work well under makeup
- 3-fluid ounce tube of Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 50 for superior broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays for your little one's skin
- This effective mineral sunscreen lotion is as mild as water to skin and applies to baby's skin easily to lock in moisture without stinging or irritation. It's suitable for use on both the face and body.
- Specially formulated for baby's delicate skin, it contains naturally-sourced 100% zinc oxide active and skin-soothing oat, and is both sweat- and water-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
- From the pediatrician-recommended brand, this sunscreen lotion features a tear-free formula that is non-greasy, hypoallergenic and paraben-free, phthalate-free and fragrance-free. It is available in a convenient, TSA-friendly travel size.
- The baby sunscreen has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance and is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective broad spectrum sunscreen.
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIAveeno Baby Continuous Protection is another solid option for your keratosis pilaris. Broad spectrum protection is provided with a high concentration of its active ingredient zinc oxide (21.6%). Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection was designed for the sensitive skin of babies. It contains oatmeal, an ingredient that works soothing wonders on dry skin, and is fragrance-free. Another helpful feature of this sunscreen is its higher SPF rating. If you have paler skin in combination with keratosis pilaris, then a higher SPF rating is a good choice for you. It is a thick formula which will leave a slight white cast due to its high concentration of zinc oxide. If you plan to spend time in humid and hot weather or doing water activities then you know you’ll be covered with Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection’s 80 minutes of water resistance.
- Oatmeal as moisturizing ingredient
- Sensitive formula
- 80 minutes of water resistance
- Likely to leave white cast
- SIX INGREDIENTS - Gentle and effective broad-spectrum protection with just 6 ingredients! No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or other chemical active sun screening agents.
- ZINC OXIDE - Broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA & UVB rays using safe non-nano mineral Zinc Oxide.
- WATER RESISTANT - Certified organic base of Sunflower Oil, Beeswax & Vitamin E is ultra-moisturizing and soothing. Easy application and water resistant for at least 40 minutes.
- HYPOALLERGENIC - Pediatrician tested and approved safe for babies and kids. Hypoallergenic formula is safe for sensitive skin.
- REEF FRIENDLY - BPA & phthalate-free tube made from #2 recyclable plastic. Biodegradable and safe for coral reefs and other ecosystems. Certified cruelty-free.
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIBadger is a sunscreen brand that is very well trusted by SimplySunSafe and their Baby formula is another one of their reliable products. You will receive broad spectrum protection with its active ingredient zinc oxide (18.75%). Badger Baby has an extremely simple formula which causes it to be great for sensitive skin, in addition to being designed for babies. It contains soothing and moisturizing ingredients chamomile and calendula so you can expect your keratosis pilaris to leave you without extra discomfort in the sun with Badger Baby. It is a great year round option because it provides 40 minutes of water resistance for the hotter months with water activity! Just keep in mind that the high concentration of zinc oxide, while excellent in terms of protection, will leave your skin looking a bit white.
- Designed for baby skin
- Moisturizing ingredients for dry skin
- 80 minutes of water resistance
- Will leave white cast
- WE LOVE THE REEF – To help protect delicate coral reefs, our Sensitive sunscreen contains no Oxybenzone or Octinoxate
- MINERAL SUNSCREEN, NO CHEMICAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS – Protects your skin by acting like thousands of tiny mirrors that reflect UV rays away before they enter your body
- DERMATOLOGIST-RECOMMENDED BROAD SPECTRUM UVA/UVB SPF 30+ – Mineral active Zinc Oxide provides true broad spectrum protection
- PARABEN-FREE & FRAGRANCE-FREE – Contains no fragrances or parabens, making it ideal for sensitive skin
- WATER RESISTANT– Up to 40 minutes water resistance, so you stay protected longer
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIBlue Lizard Sensitive Sunscreen is a great protector for keratosis pilaris. With broad spectrum protection through active ingredients zinc oxide (10%) and titanium dioxide (5%), you can rest assured that your skin is shielded. Blue Lizard Sensitive is a dermatologist recommended product designed for sensitive skin that won’t cause any irritation, and will provide you with subtle but effective moisturization, as well. You can safely use it on your face and body with any issues. No water resistance with Blue Lizard Sensitive so it’s not the best option if you’ll be outside enjoying the water or working up a sweat. However, for everyday use – this could be the perfect sunscreen for you!
- Sensitive skin formula
- Dermatologist recommended
- No water resistance
- Formulated for sensitive skin
- 80 minutes of water resistance
- Leaves slight white cast
- No zinc oxide