Buyer’s GuideIn the Jamaican sun, you need to be sure that your skin is fully protected. You can make sure of that by searching for a few must-have features in your sunscreen:
Broad spectrum protectionAny time you search for sunscreen you need to make sure it provides broad spectrum protection. The Jamaican sun is no exception! What does broad protection mean? With broad spectrum protection, you know you are covered against both UVA and UVB rays. This is important because each radiation type works differently:
- UVB rays damage the outer layer of your skin and cause you to burn or tan
- UVA rays penetrate the deepest layer of your skin (the dermis) causing your skin to age prematurely by altering skin DNA (scary!)
Best SPF for JamaicaSo let me ask you, do you really understand SPF and what it means? Don’t worry, neither did I! the Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is one of those things that is talked about all the time, but never really expanded upon. It is an important factor when deciding which sunscreen to choose so understanding what it means and how it works will enhance your sunscreen search! To put it simply, the SPF rating tells you what fraction of the sun’s rays will reach your skin if you have properly applied the sunscreen. So for example, if you’re wearing a sunscreen with an SPF rating of 30, then only 1/30th of the sun’s rays will reach your skin. Hold on, don’t get too excited. Wearing a sunscreen with an SPF rating of 30 does not mean you can spend 30 times longer in the sun than if you were not wearing sunscreen. You definitely don’t want to make that mistake in the Jamaican sun. The effectiveness of SPF is affected by many factors like the time of day, amount of properly applied sunscreen, and reflections from surfaces like water or sand. Check out this table below. It will help you better understand what protection different SPF ratings give you:
|SPF Rating||UVB Protection|
Physical is better than chemicalSunscreen can be separated into two distinct groups – chemical and physical. The important difference between the two groups lie in the active ingredients and the way they work to protect your skin.
- Chemical sunscreen absorbs UV rays as they reach your skin
- Physical sunscreen reflects UV rays before they reach your skin
- work immediately upon application
- last longer
- are less likely to cause irritation
- have a longer shelf life
Water resistantIf you’re not going to Jamaica to enjoy its beautiful beaches, then why are you going? You are sure to spend a lot of time outside in the Jamaican heat, which means you will be sweating. And on top of that, you are probably going to be swimming, or at least sitting close enough to the water to get splashed a few times. That’s why you want to find a water resistant sunscreen to take with you to Jamaica. A water resistant sunscreen will give you added peace of mind throughout your days in Jamaica. You will be protected from the sun and even sweating or a little water activity won’t damper your protection! Don’t get duped! ‘Waterproof’ or ‘sweatproof’ sunscreens do not exist. Sunscreens are available with water resistance for 40 or 80 minutes. For the sizzling, Jamaican sun, I recommend that you choose a sunscreen with 80 minutes of water resistance to give yourself as much protection as possible!
Suitable for daily useBefore you leave, get comfortable with the fact that you will need to wear sunscreen and reapply it every day while you’re in Jamaica. There is no way around it! Don’t be worried, though. There are plenty of sunscreens that fold right into daily skincare routines with no problems. When you’re searching for the sunscreen you will use daily in Jamaica, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you want a sunscreen that you can use on both your face and body everyday?
- Are there any skin sensitivities or conditions that you need to take into consideration?
- Will you wear makeup over the sunscreen?
Best Sunscreen for Jamaica Comparison
|BADGER Sport Sunscreen||BurnOut Ocean Tested||thinksport Sunscreen||Alba Botanica Sensitive Mineral||EltaMD UV Pure|
|Active ingredients||Zinc Oxide (22.5)||Zinc Oxide (20%)||Zinc Oxide (20%)||Zinc Oxide (14.5%) & Titanium Dioxide (2%)||Zinc Oxide (10%) & Titanium Dioxide (5.5%)|
|Water resistance||80 Minutes||80 Minutes||80 Minutes||80 Minutes||80 Minutes|
|Price||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon|
5 Best Sunscreens for JamaicaAfter extensive research into sunscreen needs for the Jamaican sun which included discussing issues with customers, reviewing customer feedback, examining manufacturer specifications, and participating in skincare forums, SimplySunSafe has determined the 5 best sunscreens for Jamaica. Each recommended product will provide you with physical, broad spectrum protection with an SPF rating of 30 or higher. You will also receive maximum water resistance with each recommendation!
- One of our simplest sunscreens, just 5 ingredients and no added scent! Water & sweat resistant for at least 80 minutes of swimming or activity.
- Broad spectrum protection from UVA & UVB rays using the safe mineral Zinc Oxide – No oxybenzone, octinoxate, or other chemical active sunscreening agents.
- 100% Certified Natural and 94% Certified Organic. Unscented with an antioxidant-rich Sunflower Oil base.
- BPA & phthalate-free tube from #2 recyclable plastic. Biodegradable and safe for coral reefs and other ecosystems.
- No animal testing.
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIAlways a favorite here at SimplySunSafe, BADGER Sport provides effective and reliable protection with its deceivingly simple formula. Broad spectrum protection is facilitated through the high concentration of zinc oxide (22.5%), one of the most desirable sunscreen ingredients, and there are only four other ingredients in the formula. BADGER Sport’s formula is so simple that it can be nothing but gentle, and will not cause any kind of irritation to your skin. You will not even remember that you’re wearing it each day! Don’t be frightened that the high concentration of zinc oxide will leave you looking like a ghost. BADGER Sport does require effort to rub all the way in, but once you do, its white cast will be essentially unnoticeable, and adding makeup will be as easy as pie. You will receive 80 minutes of durable water resistance with BADGER Sport, that will not be affected by sweating or some water activity. Ideal for your long days in the Jamaican sun, with swim breaks built in! BADGER Sport is a great option for the whole family, as well. If you’re taking your kids along to Jamaica, check out BADGER Baby and BADGER Kids. Everyone in the family deserves the high quality and convenient protection that BADGER provides! This sunscreen is so perfect for Jamaican conditions it also made the top of the list as best sunscreen for Costa Rica AND best overall Caribbean sunscreen. Make sure to check it out.
- Simple and gentle formula
- Durable 80 minute water resistance
- Available in Baby and Kids formulas
- Thick formula
- UVA / UVB broad-spectrum protection.
- Very water resistant.
- 18.6% Zinc Oxide.
- Chemical-free, biodegradeable, ocean-safe, eco-sensitive.
- Paraben-free, petroleum-free, paba-free.
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIBurnOut is another stellar option for sun protection in Jamaica. It also provides broad spectrum protection with a high concentration of active ingredient zinc oxide (20%). Despite its rough sounding name, BurnOut is a very gentle formula. Your skin will not be irritated at all even with daily use on your face and body. In addition, BurnOut contains aloe vera, which will actually condition your skin as it is being protected. What a bonus! Your 80 minutes of water resistance comes easy with BurnOut’s thick formula. You will have to make an effort to rub the product into your skin, but it is worth it! Your skin will not be left looking greasy and makeup will lie easily on top of this sunscreen. Give this product a test run!
- Gentle and nourishing formula
- 80 minute water resistance
- High concentration of zinc oxide
- Thick formula
- First sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements and top-rated by EWG since creation in 2010 with a “1” rating. Recipient of a tremendous amount of awards
- Free of biologically harmful chemicals like avobenzone, oxybenzone, paraben, phthalates, PABA, 1,4 dioxane, and UV chemical absorbers
- Highly effective with an SPF at 50+. Highest level of water resistance per the FDA (80-minute water resistance) and broad-spectrum coverage for UVA and UVB
- Reef Friendly: Free of known reef damaging chemicals and highly biodegradable. Non-nano zinc oxide formulation, non-aerosol formulation
- Applies and absorbs easily without the oily feeling or obtrusive smell of traditional sunscreens. Leaping Bunny certified cruelty free, gluten free & vegan
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThinksport sunscreens are excellent products in terms of safety and effectiveness. In fact, it was the first sunscreen to pass the Whole Foods premium care requirements. Its safety is unmatched and it provides broad spectrum protection with a high concentration of active ingredient zinc oxide (20%). Irritation is not even something you need to think about with this product, and its formula is surprisingly gentle, even on the face, despite its sport orientation. If you have paler skin, this may be an ideal option for you in Jamaica since it has a higher SPF rating. Thinksport’s formula is very thick and is known to leave a slight white cast, if not rubbed in very thoroughly. Keep this in mind if you choose this product, and perhaps prepare to wear some makeup on top. Its thickness lends itself to providing extremely durable water resistance for 80 minutes. Even dancing and sweating in the Jamaican sun will not diminish your protection! Another product to keep in mind if you’re bringing the whole family to Jamaica, check out thinksport Kids and thinkbaby. One stop shopping for the whole family!
- High SPF
- 80 minutes of water resistance
- Available in Kids and Baby formulas
- Thick formula
- Slight white cast
- No white cast
- Water resistance for 80 minutes
- Skin nourishing ingredients
- Needs time to dry
- Gentle and lightweight
- Water-resistant (80 minutes)
- 10.0% transparent zinc oxide, 5.5% titanium dioxide
Last update on 2020-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APISimplySunSafe’s last suggestion for sunscreen for Jamaica is EltaMD UV Pure. This formula provides broad spectrum protection with active ingredients zinc oxide (10%) and titanium dioxide (5.5%). It is effective, yet gentle enough for daily use. The formula is lightweight, non-comedogenic, and oil-free so your skin won’t be left feeling clogged or looking shiny. It will leave you with an invisible finish, as long as you rub it in properly, and you’ll be able to wear any makeup you’d like on top of it without issue. EltaMD provides you with 80 minutes of water resistance, which should stand up pretty well. Compared to its counterparts recommended here, the water resistance may not be as strong in situations of excessive sweating or water activity, and it is only that which has put it in the last spot on this list. Overall, EltaMD is a reliable sunscreen, and you should give a test to see if you might want to bring it with you to Jamaica!
- Good for daily use
- Lightweight formula
- Formula must be rubbed in well
- Less water resistant