Buyer’s GuideTo ensure that you are can get the most out of your after-sun moisturizer, here are some factors that you should consider when purchasing a product:
IngredientsHaving a look at the ingredients list on cosmetic products is not what I’d necessarily call a fun activity, but it’s an important one! It’s a good idea to be aware of what exactly you’re putting on your skin. Products with a long list of hard-to-pronounce ingredients? Yeah, you’ll definitely want to check those! Of course not knowing what an ingredient is doesn’t automatically make it bad though! Thankfully the internet has tools that can help you decipher the cryptic lists – you can copy and paste any product’s ingredients list into product analyzers such as this one by Skin Carisma. It will provide results on each individual ingredient and tell you what’s good, what’s bad, and everything in between. Nonetheless, here are some common ingredients that you may find in your moisturizer, and some information about them: Glycerin: Glycerin is the second most often used ingredient in cosmetic products after water! It is a naturally occurring humectant that cools skin. Even synthetically derived glycerin is safe, because our bodies react the same way as they do to natural glycerin. Xanthan Gum: This is a commonly used natural thickener in cosmetics. One downside of its use is its potential to leave a sticky residue. Bisabolol, aloe vera: These are natural soothing agents that reduce irritation and promote healing. Linalool, Citral, Citronellol, Limonene: These are all elements that are found in a variety of essential oils such as lavender, orange, and rose. They’re often used for their pleasant aromas to make products smell good. While natural and beneficial in a variety of ways, they can also be allergens and cause irritation to sensitive skin so buyers beware if you have sensitivity to these ingredients. Parabens: Parabens are used to prevent the growth of unwanted bacteria in a wide variety of cosmetics. While they are not directly harmful and are almost always present in very low quantities, parabens have been linked to various health risks after prolonged use. You can find out more about parabens from Safe Cosmetics.
ScentMoisturizing your whole body after being in the sun can sometimes feel like a chore – but using one that makes your skin smell delicious makes it worth all the effort! For this reason, you will want to buy a moisturizing product that encourages you to use it by having a smell you love. Besides that, if you have a product with a smell you don’t enjoy, even if it works wonders for your skin, you probably won’t use it! If you are someone who is sensitive when it comes to smells, you should check customer reviews and product labels to see if any scents are listed to make sure it isn’t too strong, and to make sure it sounds like a smell that you would like.
Best Moisturizer To Keep A Tan Comparison
|Lancaster Tan Maximizer||Golden Star Beauty Tan Extender||Sun Bum Cool Down||Maui Babe After Browning||Hawaiian Tropic After Sun|
|Ingredient Features||Tan Activator Complex, paraben-free, sulfate-free, anti-aging, anti-acne, skin brightening||DHA, Organic, natural, vegan, paraben-free, sulfate-free, gluten-free, alcohol-free, anti-aging, promotes healing||Gluten-free, hypoallergenic, non-greasy, cruelty-free, oxybenzone-free, reef-friendly, vegan||SIlicone-free, alcohol-free, sulfate-free,||Reef-safe,oxybenzone-free, octinoxate-free, hydrating,paraben-free, sulfate-free|
|Scent||Light, floral||Natural and pleasant scent||Coconut||Light, refreshing, slightly ‘flowery’||Light, tropical scent, subtle lime|
|Price||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon||See it at Amazon|
5 Best Moisturizers To Keep A TanAfter thorough research into the different after-tanning products on the market, which included analyzing product reviews, examining manufacturing details, and partaking in skin care forums, SimplySunSafe has chosen Lancaster Tan Maximizer Soothing Moisturizer as the top option. Each recommended product moisturizes very well, works to enhance your tan, and each one also has very high customer approval ratings.
- Contains exclusive Heli some to accelerate skin's recovery process and promote melanin production
- Naturally enhances and prolongs the tan even without sun exposure
- Blended with a unique soothing complex for calming and comforting benefits
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThis luxurious Lancaster’s product is SimplySunSafe’s pick for the best moisturizer to keep a tan. It relieves skin that’s been out in the sun while prolonging tans for up to one month! It has no added color, but it has a specially formulated Tan Activator Complex (T.A.C.) which increases melanin production for a longer-lasting, quicker, deeper, more beautiful tan. Not only does it deepen and darken your natural tan, but it keeps skin feeling soft and moisturized, all while having a delicious light scent. There’s no surprise here why it’s been described as “miracle juice” for your skin! Additionally, it is free of parabens and sulfates and it has anti-aging and acne-fighting properties. The only downside to the Lancaster Tan Maximizer is that it is quite expensive. However, if price is not an issue, I definitely recommend this product for its high quality and effectiveness.
- Tan Activator Complex increases melanin production for a naturally deeper, darker tan
- Free of parabens and sulfates
- Anti-aging and acne-fighting
- Brightens skin
- PERFECT SUNKISSED TAN WITHOUT HURTING YOUR SKIN: MADE WITH PURE, NATURAL and ORGANIC ingredients perfectly blended to prolong the life of your sunless, spray or suntan. ORGANIC ALOE VERA, ORGANIC OILS (ARGAN OIL, OLIVE OIL, JOJOBA OIL, AVOCADO OIL), HYALURONIC ACID and VITAMINS B2, B5 and B12. Made in the USA with no nasty chemicals, no parabens, no formaldehyde, vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free and sealed for your protection
- MAKE YOUR BODY LOOK STUNNING: EXCLUSIVE FADE-FIGHTING formula specially designed to extend the life and look of your beautiful tan – whether it is from self-tanner, spray tan, indoor tanning bed or sun. Note also that our tan extending lotion also works as an UNBEATABLE DAILY MOISTURIZER. It helps prolong your tan for up to 3 days longer and leaves your skin velvety soft. NO FAKE TAN SMELL, NON-COMEDOGENIC and NON-STICKY.
- PERFECT VALENTINE GIFT FOR HER: Find the way to her heart & delight her with something truly special when you present her with this organic tan extender lotion! Designed for impressive results – the proof is the glowing skin of our customers (check out the customer reviews). Personalize it with a thoughtful, written message to win the heart of your Girlfriend, Wife, Mom, Sister, or Friend.
- A MUST-HAVE FOR EVERY REGULAR TANNER: For perfect results and a tan that lasts longer and fades evener. Our tan extender moisturizer guarantees optimum self-tanning results, reduces tan break-up, improves fade and is specially formulated to work with our self-tanning oil.
- PERFECT FOR ALL SKIN TYPES and ALL TYPES OF TAN: even the most sensitive ones. Enjoy a beautiful, sun-kissed glow even through the winter months using our ORGANIC SELF TANNING OIL and ORGANIC TAN EXTENDER LOTION
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIGolden Star Beauty’s Tan Extender Body Lotion comes a close second for SimplySunSafe’s most recommended after-sun moisturizers. We love this product because it’s made with pure, organic, natural ingredients and is curated specifically to extend the life of your tan. It has all that you may want in an after-tanning lotion while being ethically responsible! This lotion extends tans at least three days longer, and skin is left silky smooth. It is also a non-comedogenic and non-sticky product, which works for all skin types and all kinds of tans, even very sensitive ones. It’s made with no chemicals, parabens, or formaldehyde, and is gluten-free, cruelty-free, and vegan. Its natural ingredients will not only extend your tan, but they will work to make sure it fades evenly. Among the ingredients you can find in a bottle are the following:
- Organic Aloe Vera
- Organic Oils (Avocado, Coconut, Jojoba, Olive, Argan oils)
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamins B2, B5, and B12
- Coffee Seed Extract
- Free of parabens and dyes
- Made with Organic ingredients
- Contains DHA so caution must be taken to wash hands after application.
- Ideal for use by adults and children after a day in the sun.
- Designed to restore sun-damaged skin and prevents peeling for a longer lasting tan.
- Made with moisturizing ingredients such as, Aloe Lotion, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Cocoa Butter, Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E
- Has a light, non-greasy formula that absorbs quickly and leaves skin smooth and soft.
- Dermatologist tested, Hypoallergenic and made with Vegan and Reef Friendly ingredients - Oxbenzone & Octinoxate Free.
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APISun Bum Cool Down Hydrating After Sun Lotion is another amazing option to maintain your tan after sun exposure. It’s specifically designed to nourish skin that’s been in the sun, and to reduce peeling to keep your tan looking fresh for longer. The formula is light and non-greasy and can be used on adults and children alike, plus it’s dermatologist tested to be hypoallergenic. It absorbs quickly and is 100% vegan. SimplySunSafe especially loves that the Sun Bum Cool Down line comes in three different application types: lotion, spray, and gel. This gives users options to buy the same great product in whichever application they like best. And no matter which application type, all products maintain the same fresh cooling ingredients to moisturize your skin and preserve your tan. The moisturizing ingredients at work in Sun Bum bottles are:
- Aloe lotion
- Tea tree oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Cocoa Butter
- Cucumber Extract
- Vitamin E
- Choice of lotion, spray, or gel
- Environmentally friendly: cruelty-free, oxybenzone-free, reef-friendly, vegan
- Gluten Free
- Hypoallergenic non-greasy formula
- The smell may be a bit too strong for those with sensitivities
- SIZE: Easy-open 8 ounce (227 g) bottle
- DESCRIPTION: Specially formulated after tanning and after browning lotion
- USES: Prevents tans from fading, moisturizes, and heals damaged skin
- CONTAINS: Macadamia Nut Oil, Aloe Vera, and other natural ingredients
- ORIGIN: Product of Maui, Hawaii
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIMaui Babe After Browning Lotion is a classic after tanning product from Maui, Hawaii. It has a special formula that works to heal dry skin that has been damaged by the sun, salt, and wind. It does not have any added color, but it prevents peeling and flaking after tanning or burning, and also locks in tans and prevents them from fading. Not just that, but this Maui Babe product is appropriate for all-year usage as a general skin moisturizer for softer, smoother skin, especially for people living in very dry conditions. Its most active natural ingredients are Macadamia Nut Oil and Aloe Vera, which both work to soothe and moisturize skin after tanning. Unfortunately this product does contain parabens however, and it is also quite expensive.
- Extends tan and prevents fade
- Appropriate as a general moisturizer
- Heals damaged skin
- Contains parabens
- REEF SAFE Sunscreen, made without oxybenzone and octinoxate
- Rich, creamy formula
- Hydrates to hydrate your skin
- Helps replenish mositure with exotic island botanicals
- Wonderful tropical scent
Last update on 2020-01-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising APIThis after-sun formula is rich and creamy, and is loved for its delicious tropical scent and its soothing effects on skin. Containing island botanicals, aloe vera, shea and cocoa butters, and fortified with vitamins A and E, Hawaiian Tropic After Sun Moisturizer rejuvenates skin that has been damaged by the sun, wind, and water. SimplySunSafe does not recommend it as the best option since it contains a long list of ingredients which include parabens and alcohols, and I especially suggest avoiding it if your skin is burned or irritated. However, in other cases, it is a very light, non-greasy lotion that can be used on sensitive skin and which will help you keep your tan looking just-out-of-the-sun fresh.
- Highly Moisturizing
- Pleasant yet light fragrance
- Contains alcohol so not good for sunburns
- Long ingredients list including parabens